Mark J. Guay
In Private Practice since 1985
Location: Newburyport, Massachusetts
My firm currently represents more than 25 national and international corporations, both profit and non-profit. I am also teaching Corporate Law and fiduciary obligations under common law for international lawyers at Boston University Law School, Graduate law school for international studies. We emphasize that business is a team sport. It is critical that you create a team of people to advise you on how to protect your hard-earned dollars.
I have practiced law in Newburyport since 1985. My firm represents businesses in the full range of legal matters a company may encounter as it grows. This work includes filing the appropriate documents with the Massachusetts Secretary of State's Office for start-ups, protecting and licensing of their product or service, protecting their federal trademarks, and working with them as a team in commercial contract transactions.
In furtherance of the theme that business is a team sport, the three legs to a successful risk management program for small businesses are as follows:
- Strategic Planning
- Organizational Planning
- Succession Planning
Each element is equally important and overlapping. These elements collectively form your overall risk management strategy.
Representative Client Work
- Formation of the U.S. subsidiary and representation of an international multi-million dollar company that designs and manufactures image processing devices for industrial and life science applications.
- Formation of the U.S. subsidiary and representation of an international multi-million dollar company that designs and produces galvanometer scanning systems for various applications.
- Formation and representation of an international company that provides customers with brand and design marketing strategies.
- Formation and representation of a national company that provides online products for continuing education accounting courses for professional license requirements.
- Restructuring and legal representation of a regional medical practice.
- Formation of the U.S. subsidiary and representation of an international multi-million dollar company that designs and manufactures LED light measurement devices.
- Formation and representation of a national multi-million dollar company that provides sales and distribution of commercial large scale energy efficiency lighting solutions.
- Acquisition and representation of a multi-million dollar regional home care service provider for the elderly.
- Formation and representation of a multi-million dollar national defense contractor company.
- Formation and representation of a national mechanical systems distribution company for large commercial and industrial buildings.
- Restructuring and legal representation of a regional real estate brokerage company and a commercial real estate rental company.
- Formation and legal representation of a commercial private jet pilot service company.
- Merger & Acquisition legal representation for various regional companies.
- Numerous start-up high tech company formations and trademark and trade secret services for same.
- Asset protection, and estate and succession planning, for the various companies we represent.
Areas of Practice
- Business & Commercial Law
- Business Organizations
- Succession Planning
- Trade Secrets
- Taxation Law
- Strategic Planning
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Massachusetts, 1983
- Oklahoma, 1979
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Oklahoma, 1980
- U.S. District Court District of Massachusetts, 1986
- U.S. Tax Court, 1997
Education & Experience
- Boston University School of Law, Part-Time Lecturer on Corporate Law (ELLM Program), Boston, MA - LL.M. - 2019-2020
- Boston University School of Law, Part-Time Lecturer on Strategic Contract Analysis (LLM American Law), Boston, MA - LL.M. - 2020
- Boston University School of Law, Master of Laws in Taxation - LL.M. - 1997
- University of Tulsa College of Law, Tulsa, OK - J.D. - 1979
- Fordham University - B.A. - 1974
- University College London & LSE, London, England
- Professional Associations and Memberships
- Boston Bar Association, 1996 - Present
- Newburyport Bar Association, President, 1996 - 1997
- National Contract Management Association, Board of Directors, 1990 - 2000
- North Shore Technology Association, Founder, 1998
- Newburyport Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors, 2005 - 2009
- Newburyport International Business Coalition, Founder
- Seacoast Energy and Environmental Design Coalition, Founder
- Custom House Maritime Society, CEO & Chairman, Board of Directors, 2006 – 2011
Past Employment Positions
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Oklahoma, Chief Judge Allan Barrow, Summer Law Clerk, 1978
- U.S. Department of Energy, Special Counsel, 1979 - 1980
- U.S. Navy Strategic Systems Office, Contracting Officer, 1980 – 1984
Our practice serves as a resource for you and your business. We are experts in the fields of critical thinking, decision making, tax planning, getting your business back on track, digital rights management, intellectual property, dot com planning and strategies, and doing business as a profitable entity. We work with you to create a symmetrical business strategy for success while still addressing asymmetric risk.
At the law offices of Mark J. Guay, P.C., our experienced lawyer represents clients throughout the Merrimack Valley, the North Shore of Massachusetts, and throughout New England. We also serve clients in Europe. The Massachusetts cities we serve include Amesbury, Andover, Bedford, Beverly, Boston, Cambridge, Danvers, Gloucester, Hamilton, Haverhill, Ipswich, Lawrence, Lexington, Lowell, Lynn, Marblehead, Newbury, Newburyport, Peabody, Reading, Rockport, Salem, Salisbury, and Swampscott.
Essex County ▪ Middlesex County ▪ Suffolk County
The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.